As a woman, you know that your car is a fundamental part of your life. It gets you to work, to the shops, to your kids’ activities, and more. That’s why it’s so important to keep your car well-maintained. Fortunately, car maintenance doesn’t have to be complicated or time-consuming. By following a few simple tips, you can keep your car running like a charm.
Why do we need to learn car maintenance?
We need to learn car maintenance for several reasons. First, cars are expensive and complex machines, and we rely on them heavily in our daily lives. Second, even small problems with our cars can lead to big, expensive repairs. Finally, by learning some basic car maintenance, we can save ourselves time and money.
Get to know your car.
The first step in car maintenance is getting to know your car. Read the owner’s manual so that you understand how your car works and what all the different parts are for. Familiarise yourself with the instrument panel so that you know what all the lights and gauges mean.And take some time to learn where all the important parts
How to change a tire your car.
Assuming you have a "normal car", these are the steps you would take to change a tire. If you have a different kind of car, consult your owner’s manual.
- Park your car on level ground and set your parking brake.
- Loosen the lug nuts on your wheel with a lug wrench (but don’t remove them yet).
- Place a jack under your car(consult your owner’s manual to find out where) and jack up your car until the wheel is off the ground.
- Remove the lug nuts and take off the wheel.
- Put the new wheel on and put the lug nuts back on (but don’t tighten them yet).
- Lower your car.
- Tighten up the nuts and double check they are tight.
How to check and add oil
- Make sure your car is turned off and in park before you start.
- Find the oil dipstick and pull it out.
- Wipe the dipstick clean with a rag or paper towel.
- Insert the dipstick back into the car and pull it out again to check the oil level. If it's low, you'll need to add oil.
- Find the oil filler cap, open it and carefully pour in the oil.
- Replace and tighten the cap.
How to check the battery
One of the most important things you can do to maintain your car is to regularly check the battery. This is especially important if you live in an area with extreme temperatures, as cold weather can cause the battery to lose power. There are a few simple steps you can take to check your battery:
First, open the hood of your car and locate the battery. It will usually be close to the front of the engine and will have two thick black wires connected to it. Once you've found it, look at the terminals, which are the metal posts on top of the battery. These should be clean and free of corrosion. If they're not, use a wire brush to clean them.
Running Costs, MOT’s, and Road Tax
There are some sites out there that can provide a free car history check that includes an estimate of running costs when your MOT and Road Tax is due. This bit doesn't need you to get your hands dirty!
How to check tyre pressure
- Unscrew the valve stem cap from the valve stem on the tire
- Press the air pressure gauge evenly onto the valve stem and record the reading given
- Replace valve stem cap
Hope that helps!